Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New Life Orphanage


2:19PM 5 July

Happy Birthday Brendan! I still have no wifi connection and the land line internet is so slow. I guess all of you who have the URL for my blog page have since given up on me. Lol. It's too bad really.

I went to an orphanage the other day. Hanna, on our trip, volunteered at this orphanage 2 years ago. So on Thursday me, Hanna, Ross, Gezelle, and Unise all went to see the kids. We had a blast. Kids are so funny when you place them in certain positions, like, seeing foreigners. They ran up to us and gave us hugs and just wanted to touh and talk to us. They loved the individual attention and I spent much time just pushing some kids on a swing set. Man, this orphanage, the kids all looked healthy and happy, but the play set was old and broken, the plastic slide was broken - the plastic was sliced and the sharp edges was left exposed. Some of the girls had crochets and yarn and were making what they told me would be a skirt.

It was funny, the kids would ask me what my name was, I'd tell them, then they'd ask me what my brother's name was, my sister's name (when I told them I didn't have a sister, they would be shocked), they would ask my mother's name and for my father's name. After I would tell all the names they would say "Ahh, those are very nice names". The kids would ask me for the names of my family members in this exact pattern, each one that asked. It was very interesting.


-- Posted From My iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Ah sweet I got a shout out!

    Look on the bright side of not having readily available internet...it adds to the authenticity of your trip!

    The kids' name curiosity is an interesting tidbit. They sound like nice folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exact same thing happened with people asking us for family names in Niger. It was actually the university students we met with who asked, and they were always shocked when we each had only a few siblings or none at all.

    ReplyDelete