Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Friend Amina


11:30 5 July 2009

Went into town today and ended up at a fabric store. A young woman worked there along with her brother. Amenia is her name and she is 22 years of age. She greatly enjoyed our conversations and was so happy to bring us to her sister's house for her to make us clothes. Ross is having 2 button down shirts made and I a skirt and matching shirt. We took a taxi with her to Abbraa where her sister lives and she brought us inside the village - off the beaten path and wined us through the houses and people. It was quite amazing. We got to see the heart of life in this town. When we got to her sister's house everyone was so welcoming. People were happy to introduce themselves to us and were eager to hear our names. The little bit of Fante that we used impressed them and they were delighted to hear us speak it.

Taking pictures is always a funny experience. People get so excited to have their picture taken - for the most part. The older woman of the house we were at was making a dish called FuFu. It's made with a dough like substance that is cooked over a fire and kneeded with a large stick. While we were visiting and taking pictures with everyone she motions for me to join her. With her hand held out I take it, not too entirely sure what she wanted from me. She walks me over to where her pot sitting ontop of a fire was, grabs a low stool, and tells me that since I am woman I must sit. She puts her hands on my shoulder and gives me a little tug down. I sit next to the pot and she then grabs the stick, hands it to me, and sits next to me. Too funny. So, I now have a picture of me making fufu with this kind woman. She got such a kick out of me immitating her and wouldn't stop laughing.

When Amenia's sister was measuring me for my clothes, I felt like I was getting a skating dress made. It was oddly familiar and though her sister didn't speak much English, the communication was clear.

-- Posted From My iPhone

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty awesome that you got clothes made. Will really make a great story when people comment on what you're wearing and you say "yeah, no big deal, just got it handmade while I was in Africa."

    By the way, you're taking pictures right?
    (I heard my mom's voice as I typed that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - yes, all in all the whole day equals a great story. It was by far one of the best days yet. Of course there are pictures! I have probably 400 on my camera. Though, only a few taken from my phone, so as of now, those are the only ones that get loaded. We'll do a slide show in Aug.

    ReplyDelete